P60/P45 Tax Refund

Are you trying to get your UK tax refund? Let us do it for you for as little as £35 or £55. regardless of the refund value or the number of years you worked in the UK.


The calculator below (and the content of this page) only refers to Tax Refunds for employees. If you are self-employed and want to get your Tax Refund, please go to – Self-employed Tax Returns

Calculate your Tax Refund

First check whether you are entitled to a Tax Refund.
Fill in the first two boxes, select a tax year and click on ‘Calculate’.

Annual salary (£)
Total Tax paid (£)
Tax year
Tax free allowance
Total Tax

Detailed information

If you had more than one employer in one tax year, sum up all your wages for that year based on information provided in your P60 and P45 forms (or the final pay slips) and add Total Tax. Tax Refund is calculated separately for each year. You may be entitled to a refund only for some of the years. In the UK a tax year runs from 6 April one year to 5 April the following calendar year.

I’m due a refund! What now?

You have 3 options:
a) Call our London office in Greenford:
+44 (0) 208 578 9433 lub 078 0937 4756
b) Send us an e-mail: info@taxpol.ltd.uk
c) Fill in the following form (best option):

Open the form in a new window – Tax Refund Application

What next?

We will contact you via email within 2 working days. Check your mailbox regularly including the SPAM folder. In the meantime, please prepare your P45/P60 and/or the final pay slips that you received from your employers. We will also provide you with a link to two more forms (personal information and employers information). You will find all further instructions in the email.

How much will it cost me?

Not that much. Depending on the option you choose: £35 lub £55. In either case, the amount you pay does not depend on the amount of the refund or on the number of years that the refund applies to.

  • Basic option (£35) – we will fill in all the forms and send them to HMRC
  • Premium option (£55) – all forms filled in and sent + 2 free interventions (see below)

There are no hidden charges and no commission. If the refunded amount is substantial, the commission may amount to several hundred pounds – make sure to carefully study the terms and conditions if you apply for a refund via companies that charge a commission-based fee. At Taxpol we do not use tricks, fine print attachments etc. Any extra costs that may arise are openly and clearly communicated and will only apply to those who accept to pay them in the first place.

Stosujemy 3 opcjonalne dopłaty: 1) za dodatkową interwencję: £20, b) za przelew międzynarodowy: £25, c) za pisemną skargę do HMRC: £30. Żadna z tych opłat nie jest obowiazkowa. Więcej informacji na ten temat znajdziesz w rozdziałach poniżej.

Which option should I go for?

Choose the basic option (£35) if your situation is clear and straightforward. That would be the case if you claim a refund for 1 or 2 years, you did not have a great number of employers, you have all the documents (P60/P45, final pay slips), you do not suspect that there was any underpaid tax in the past years etc. In such cases, interventions are not generally needed, which enables you to save a bit of money. Should there be any problems resulting in a delay, you can always order a paid intervention. One intervention would most likely be enough, so you will not overpay anyway.

Go for the premium option (£55) if your situation is more complicated. That would mean that you claim a refund for several (3-5) years, over which you had several employers, you do not have all the necessary documents (P60/P45, final pay slips), you suspect there may have been instances of underpaid tax in the past years etc. By choosing the premium option you buy yourself some certainty and your peace of mind.

IMPORTANT: We only start to provide the service upon receiving the payment (the whole amount or its part).


If based on the information included in the forms and P45/P60 we establish that you are not entitled to a refund you will receive full reimbursement within few days.

How long will I have to wait?

Tax refund can take anything from several days up to several months.. Generally, it is safe to assume that you should receive your refund within 1-2 months.

The provided timeframe is just an estimate based on our experience. Some of our clients received their refund within few days, but unfortunately some of them had to wait for many months. There is a number of reasons for that. Human errors can sometimes considerably extend the waiting period. HMRC staff are just people and it does happen (although not very often, but still) that a document may get misplaced at their end. At Taxpol we have no control over such events. All we can do is send inquiries, explanations, extra copies of the documents, or file complaints. Fortunately, complications are rare and most often we do not need to intervene.

Will I have to wait longer if I live outside the UK?

Your current place of residence has little effect on the length of time you will need to wait for the refund. Refunds sent abroad are usually issued by HMRC in a form of cheques, so allow few extra days for the postal service. It may also take a couple of extra days for a cheque to be issued.

Scope of service

Basic option (£35) – Forms get filled in and sent by Taxpol

The service we provide includes filling in all the necessary forms based on information you provide. You will receive all the filled in forms by traditional mail together with an addressed return envelope (without a stamp). You should sign the forms and send them back to us, together with P45/P60 forms, as required. We will then verify the received forms and documents and forward them to HMRC. This service does not include any additional unpaid interventions. Should there be a delay in processing your refund, you can always order a paid intervention or interventions (£20 each). We will send our terms and conditions of service for you to sign together with the forms.

Premium option (£55) – Filling in the forms + 2 interventions free of charge

The service we provide includes filling in of all the required forms based on information provided by you. We will send you all the completed forms by traditional mail, together with an addressed return envelope (without a stamp). You should sign the forms and send them back to us, together with the forms P45/P60, as required. We will then check the received documents and forward them to HMRC. Should there be a delay with your refund, we will carry out two interventions at HMRC free of charge (over the phone or in writing) in order to resolve any issues. We will send our terms and conditions of service for you to sign together with the forms.

Terms and conditions you will need to sign – Agreement Terms and conditions

Two free interventions

As part of the premium service worth £55 we offer to approach HMRC twice in order to intervene on your behalf. Interventions will only be carried out at your request. The first one can take place only after 7 weeks from the moment we receive all the documents and forms signed by you. By ‘intervention’ we mean a telephone call or a letter that we would address to HMRC at your request. If two free interventions fail to get the issues resolved (i.e. to get HMRC to pay you the refund) we can carry out further interventions or file an official written complaint. Every additional intervention will cost you £20, while the fee for an official complaint is £35.

Paid interventions

If you choose the basic service for £35 any additional interventions will incur an extra charge. The rules for conducting interventions are as described above, but you will need to pay £20 for each intervention and £30 for an official complaint.

IMPORTANT: We reserve the right to refuse to carry out an intervention on your behalf (whether it is a free one or a paid one), if the information you provided turns out to be strikingly incomplete or significantly inaccurate.

Additional services

  • Money transfer to a bank account outside the UK An optional service costing £25 (deducted from your tax refund). The Client requests for his refund to be paid into a bank account outside the UK. As HMRC does not make transfers to bank accounts in countries other than the UK, we request that the refund is transferred to Taxpol’s bank account. Upon receiving the refund, we transfer the money to an account specified by the Client. The fee of £25 covers mainly costs of the international transfer. IMPORTANT: This option may delay receiving your refund by several weeks (it takes more time for HMRC to pays out refunds to agents’ accounts).
  • Written complaint to HMRC – This service includes sending a formal letter by Taxpol to HMRC on behalf of the Client. A written complaint is a solution we apply once all other standard procedures (telephone inquiries and regular letters) turn out ineffective in resolving the issue. We file an official complaint only at the Client’s request and upon receiving the additional payment. The cost of this service is £30.

Cheque or bank transfer?

The British tax authority lets you choose in what form you would like to receive your tax refund. You can opt for the money to be transferred into your bank account (only within the UK) or to receive a cheque that will be send by traditional mail to an address of your choice. Unfortunately, at times HMRC may ignore your instructions and send you a cheque instead of bank transfer. There is nothing we at Taxpol can do to help in such cases.

IMPORTANT: HMRC does not transfer money to bank accounts in countries other than the UK. Outside the UK all refunds are paid by cheque.

If you live in the UK

If you live in the UK, HMRC will transfer the refund straight into your bank account or they will send a cheque to your residential address. If for any reason you would rather not have the money transferred into your bank account (e.g. you have a significant overdraft) or you prefer not to receive the cheque (e.g. you move houses often and you are therefore afraid of the cheque getting lost or you have nosy flatmates) you can appoint a trusted person to receive the transfer or the cheque on your behalf. You can also choose the option ‘Transfer via Taxpol bank account’. In such case, Taxpol will transfer the received refund into a bank account of your choice or you will be able to pick up the refund in cash at the Taxpol office. This service costs £25, with the fee being deducted from the refunded amount.

If you live outside the UK

HMRC does not transfer money to bank accounts held outside the UK. All refunds outside the UK are paid by cheque. You may find it difficult to cash a cheque in British pounds, if you do not currently live in the UK. It would be best to ask your current bank whether cashing such a cheque would pose a problem. The most convenient solution is to have the money transferred directly into a bank account. To make it possible, you can authorize a trusted friend or a family member who currently lives in the UK to receive the refund on your behalf. Even if HMRC ignores your preferences and sends a cheque instead of a bank transfer, cashing it will not be a problem within the UK. You can also choose the option ‘Bank transfer outside the UK’. Then (upon receiving the cheque or the bank transfer) we will transfer the refunded amount to your bank account in your country of residence. We charge additional £25 for that service, which will be deducted from the refunded amount to cover the costs of an international money transfer. Your bank may also charge you a small additional fee, depending on the amount of the refund. It is up to you to obtain any information regarding your bank’s fees policy.

Do I need to apply for the refund?

If you are employed, you live permanently in the UK, and your situation is fairly straightforward, HMRC will grant you your refund automatically. Of course, it will only happen if you are entitled to it. However, if your situation is more complicated – for example you changed employers on a regular basis or moved houses a lot, you failed to receive the due refund in the past, or if you need to receive your refund quickly – it is worth to apply for the refund yourself or via a specialized company, such as Taxpol.

Can I apply for the refund myself?

Yes, you can do it. One way is to fill in a relevant application online. The access to application is free of charge. Before you can proceed, you will need to go through a verification process (to prove that you are who you claim you are).

A claim form to apply for your tax refund – Claim tax refund


As you can see, we do not write fluff to lure you at any cost and get your money. Quarrels and complaints? Certainly not with us. We have honest work ethics and we care for our clients. We do not use any dirty tricks. We do not write positive reviews ourselves, we do not provide artificially high amounts in our tax calculator. We do not conceal our address, names or faces. We think of ourselves as professionals. We do what we are really good at.

IMPORTANT: Don’t mistake our company for others with similar names. The correct versions of our company name are: TAXPOL LTD, TAXPOL, Taxpol Ltd, Taxpol – WITHOUT A HYPHEN!

Answers to frequently asked questions.

Who will receive the tax refund?

The refund applies to all employees and workers who work legally in the UK, if their income was taxed at a higher rate than it should have been.

When can I expect a tax refund?

The right to claim your tax refund and its amount will depend on the tax that was deducted from your income in a given year. That amount will depend on the tax code you were assigned and on your employment history. You will most likely receive your tax refund in the following cases: a) if you have worked in the UK for a short period of time (so you have been assigned an ‘unfavourable’ tax code); b) you have not worked for a full tax year (for example your employment commenced half way through the tax year, or you were often in and out of work)

Do I need my P60 and P45? Or will pay slips be enough?

When claiming your tax refund, you must provide the original P60 or P45 forms from all your employers (if you had more than one) in a given tax year. If you do not have all necessary P60 or P45 forms, you can try to apply for the refund with just your pay slips (you will need the final payslip issued by each employer). However, trying to claim the refund based just on pay slips may require additional contacts with HMRC and it may generally delay the payment of the refund. Fortunately, over the last few years, the importance of P60/P45 forms and pay slips has been dwindling and they are not as crucial as they used to be.

Do I need to submit a tax return as an employee?

People who are employed (employees and workers) have their tax deducted on their behalf by the employer. Therefore, those in employment do not need to submit annual tax returns. They can, however, claim a tax refund if they paid too much tax on their income.

Will I get a tax refund if I my earnings were very low?

If your total earnings for the year did not exceed the untaxed personal allowance for that year, you will be refunded the total amount of tax that you had paid. The Personal Allowance (for those under 65) in the year 2013/14 was £9,440 (nine thousand four hundred and forty pounds).

Can I claim the refund if I currently live outside the UK?

Yes, you can claim your tax refund even if you no longer live in the United Kingdom.

Protect your personal data!

You can start the claim procedure on your own or through an authorised agent. It is very important that you never disclose your personal data to people or companies that you cannot trust one hundred per cent. Keep in mind that your personal details can be used for making fraudulent benefit claims, obtaining bank loans etc.

Important dates:

• Tax year runs from 6 April of one year to 5 April of the following calendar year • Your employer should send the P60 form by 19 May

Explanation of some letters in your tax code

Your tax code consists of numbers and letters, e.g. 103P. Here we explain what the letters stand for:
L – standard Personal Allowance
P – Personal Allowance for those aged 65-74
Y – Personal Allowance for those over 74
T – for those, whose Personal Allowance includes additional calculations, for example Blind Person’s Allowance, or for those who do not wish their employer to know what type of allowance they are entitled to
K – if your Personal Allowance is lower than the factors that bring it down, i.e. additional part time job; K indicates that your taxable income should be increased by the stated amount
BR, DO, OT – these are used when you have another source of income and your Personal Allowance is already included in the tax code for your main income. They inform your employer how to calculate your tax correctly.

More information

You will find more information on Tax Refunds in the FAQ section – More about Tax Refunds
Tax Refund calculator – Kalkulator podatkowy
Czytaj po polsku – Zwrot podatku
More about Taxpol – About us
Our other services – Services
Our fees – Fees
Your reviews – Reviews
Contact us – Contact us